PhD (Computer Science)
PhD (Electrical Engineering)
PhD (Management Science)
- + Introduction
The MS Biotechnology program of department of Biosciences is developed to provide students with strong theoretical knowledge and cutting edge skills of modern medical, pharmaceutical and agriculture sciences and technology. This program will provide skills of solving complex problems in biotechnology research and development. The plan of study will provide awareness and knowledge of social, ethical and professional values relevant to Biotechnology.
Biotechnology has large, highly profitable, modern industrial outlets of great value to society. It also deals with the modification of microorganisms, plants and farm animals for improved and tailored food production and to increased opportunities for environmental remediation and protection. The field is further exemplified with the industrial production of enzymes, industrial manufacturing plants for milk and milk products, alcohols, organic acids, antibiotics, vitamins, growth promoting factors and monoclonal antibodies. Graduates of Biotechnology usually get employment in well-known Pharmaceutical and food industries of Pakistan. Countless opportunities are available in clinical laboratories, research institutes and teaching Institutions.
- + Program Summary
The purpose of the MS (Biotechnology) program is to provide students with necessary theoretical knowledge and practical skills required for handling biotechnology research problems.
- Further their undergraduate knowledge of biotechnology, biochemistry, microbiology, epidemiology and public health, bioinformatics, genetics, medical technology
- Have in-depth knowledge of their area of specialization and enabling them to understand the biotechnological solution in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- Impart knowledge of contemporary issues in their area of specialization
- Enable to conduct meaningful research in the area of specialization and present their work for peer review
- B.S. (4 years) or M.Sc. in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Epidemiology and Public Health, Bioinformatics, Genetics, Medical Technology, Other related subjects or medical graduates (MBBS/DVM/BDS) with a minimum 2.00 of 4.00 CGPA.
- Admission Test/ NTS GAT
- This is a two years program comprising of 4 semesters. There will be a Fall and a Spring semester in each year. The maximum duration to complete MS in Biotechnology is 4 years.
- A student admitted to the MS(Biotechnology) program will have to complete the degree requirement by following any one of the options listed below:
Credit Hours Area Option1 Option2 Core Courses 18 18 Specialization/ Elective Courses 12 6 Research Thesis 0 6 Total 30 30
The student must have a minimum 2.5 of 4.0 CGPA in the coursework to be eligible for MS (Biotechnology) degree.
- + Program Structure
- + Plan of Study
Semester - I
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite BT5010 Research Methods in Biotechnology 2+1 - BT5020 Advances in Cell and Molecular Biology 3+0 - BT5040 Cellular Signalling 3+0 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - II
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite BT5050 Advances in Bioinformatics 2+1 - BT5060 Modern Biotechnology: Principles and Applications 3+0 - BI5070 Regulation of Gene Expression 2+1 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - III
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite BT2XXX Elective-I 3 - BT6010 Research Project-I 3 - OR - BT6030 Techniques in Molecular Biotechnology 3 Total Semester Credit Hours 6
Semester - IV
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite BT2XXX Elective-II 3 - BT6020 Research Project-II 3 - OR - BT6040 Techniques in Protein Chemistry 3 Total Semester Credit Hours 6