- + Introduction
The Department of Economics plans a new two-year MS program in Economics & Finance, which equals 18 years of education. This program is in line with Higher Education Commission (HEC) curriculum. The MS in Economics & Finance is an applied Economics degree geared towards students who wish to pursue their career as applied economists in commerce, financial institutions, ICMA, CIMA, Stock markets, government and academic areas. In addition, an excellent preliminary training will be provided to those who wish to pursue further research for a PhD in the areas of Economics & Finance. The demand for such a program has been apparent to us for quite some time and we have developed the curricula keeping in view the challenging needs and problems of our country in particular and those of the world in general.
Scope regarding Marketing, Social and Employment perspective
- The master of Science in Economics & Finance program offers a professional graduate course of study designed to provide competency in management and to acquaint the student with a variety of business activities.
- The MS degree program is both decision and policy oriented and focuses on key aspects of modern business administration.
- It is a 2-year degree program offered by the Department of Economics to working professionals.
- It is also prepares students for a variety of leadership positions in complex contemporary world and teaching careers.
- Students will be able to get competent skills of solving complex problems and expedite in modern research.
- Students will be able to get awareness and knowledge of Social, Ethical, and professional values relevant to Economics & Finance Research.
- The MS program in Economics is designed to prepare graduates for managerial and administrative roles in business, industry and government on the national and international levels.
Program Learning Objective
- Develop critical thinking and research behavior.
- Understand various research philosophies and research approaches
- Understand various research techniques and tools to conduct research
- Develop research proposal ,development of model and specify variables
- Conduct research on a specific topic(s)
- Develop a research report or paper following a standard structure.
- Sixteen years of schooling or four-year of relevant education after intermediate with minimum 45%.
- MAJU Admission Test
This is normally a 2-year of program comprising of course works and thesis.
Each candidate for the MS Economics& Finance degree is required to complete 30 credits hours with minimum of 2.5 CGPA
- + Specialization
Advanced Research Methods
Quantitative Research Methods
Advanced Mathematical Economics (EE-1) OR
Issues in Pakistan Economy(EE-2)
Advanced Portfolio Management(EF-1)
Advanced Investment Banking(EF-I1)
Financial Risk Management(EF-III)
- + Program Structure
- + Plan Of Study
Semester - I
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite EC5000 Advanced Microeconomics 3 - EC5400 Advanced Research Methods 3 - FN5320 Theory and Practice of Finance 3 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - II
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite EC5010 Advanced Macroeconomics 3 - FN5310 International Finance 3 - EC5030 Advanced Econometrics 3 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - III
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite EC6400 Research Thesis-I 3 EC5400 ECXXXX Elective-I (Economics) 3 - FNXXXX Elective-I (Finance) 3 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - IV
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite EC6410 Research Thesis-II 3 EC6400 Total Semester Credit Hours 3
Semester - III
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite XXXXXX Elective-I (Economics) 3 - XXXXXX Elective-I (Finance) 3 - XXXXXX Elective-II (Economics) 3 - Total Semester Credit Hours 9
Semester - IV
Course Code Course Title Credit Hours Pre-Requisite XXXXXX Elective-II (Finance) 3 - Total Semester Credit Hours 3
Program Total Credit Hours: 30
Elective Courses (Economics)
Course Code Course Title EC6100 Advanced Mathematical Economics EC6310 Issues in Pakistan Economy EC6320 Development Economics EC6330 Advaced Monetary Ecnomics EC6340 Islamic Finance EC6350 Labour Economics EC6360 Public Finance
Elective Courses (Finance)
Course Code Course Title FN6500 Advanced Portfolio Management FN6510 Contemporary Issues in Banking and Finance FN6520 Financial Econometrics EC6330 Advanced Financial Derivatives FN6300 Strategic Finance