The BS Economics and Policy Development program is aimed at developing professionals who can understand and provide an economical solution to the economic issues at the national and international level. This program has been designed for students who wish to acquire a robust and in-depth understanding of economics in light of real-world problems. Consequently, this program enables students to suggest a logical solution with a reliable and effective policy. Furthermore, BS Economics and Policy Development is focused on developing consistent quantitative, analytical, and research skills to make quality decisions. It helps the student to think-clearly while applying economic and policy development concepts to solve real-world problems and opportunities.
- The graduates of this program will be highly demanding in all NGOs, including national and international, such as; Asian Human Rights Development Organization, Association for the development of Pakistan, etc.
- Research institutes which are explicitly working on Policymaking both in public and private sector will have demand for these graduates, such as; Planning Commission, National Institute of Public Administration (NEPA), Punjab Economic Research Insititute (PERI), Sustainable Development Policy Institute, etc.
- The graduates of BS Economics and Policy Development with strong knowledge and expertise in real-world problems can further pursue planning, research, and consultancy.
- Graduates of BS Economics and Policy Development from Muhammad Ali Jinnah University will be demanded at the research division of State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) for effective and sound policies.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
|PEO-1||To provide cross-functional knowledge, basic concepts, and theories related to Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Management, and Psychology etc.|
|PEO-2||To provide in-depth knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics in order to understand contemporary socioeconomic issues.|
|PEO-3||To provide awareness about theories and concepts necessary to formulate public welfare policies.|
|PEO-4||To provide knowledge of cutting-edge tools and techniques in order to propose contemporary solution for the complex socioeconomic issues.|
Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
|PLO-1||Critical Thinking Skills: PEO-4||
An ability to optimally apply economic analysis to modern socioeconomic problems i.e. to understand current events and evaluate potential policy proposals. They must be able to evaluate various phenomena and reach to different conclusions.
|PLO-2||PQuantitative Reasoning Skills: PEO-2||
An ability to use empirical evidnces to assess the validity of an economic argument i.e. the use of data and methodology, and able to interpret empirical results by using appropriate statistical / econometric analysis.
|PLO-3||Problem Solving Skills: PEO-1||
An ability to solve problems that have multiple solutions as well as those that do not have precise solution by providing various suggestions.
|PLO-4||Specialized Knowledge: Skills: PEO-1||
An ability to design solutions for complex socioeconomic problems and design systems, component or processes that meet specified needs while maintaining cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
|PLO-5||Communication Skills: PEO-4||
An ability to communicate effectively in written, oral, and non-verbal communication. Also, they must be able to form concrete questions and prepare well-organized written arguments (clearly stated assumptions/ hypothese).
|PLO-6||Corporate Social Responsibility: PEO-3||
An ability to understand the impact of their knowledge on society, and understating of their reponsibilties towards society, country, and the world.
- 12 Years education or Equivalent securing at least 45% in annual
- MAJU Admission Test and Previous Academic Performance
- BS Economics and Policy Development is a four-year degree program comprising of 8 There will be a Fall and a Spring semester each year. The summer semester can also be utilized as a bridging semester to improve the CGPA. The minimum duration to complete the degree program is 04 years, and the maximum limit is 07 years.
- A student is required to register for the Research Project after the completion of 88 credit hours with a minimum CGPA of 2.0 / 4.0
- All students ideally undergo 4-8 weeks internship arranged by the placement office. The internship is usually taken after passing 72 Credit Hours. An internship coordinator closely monitors the course. Successful completion of an internship is an essential requirement for graduation.
- Minimum CGPA 2.0 / 0
- Research Project 06 Credit Hours
List of Courses
|Islamic Economics System|
|International Political Economics|
|History of Economic Thoughts|
|Principle of Microeconomics|
|Principle of Macroeconomics|
|Mathematics of Economics|
2. Policy Development
|Economy of Pakistan|
|Mediation and Negotiation|
|Applied Cost and Benefit Analysis|
|Strategy for Public Leaders|
|Taxation Policy Analysis|
|Values in International Development|
|Public Sector Financing|
|Advanced Budgeting in Public Sector|
|Qualitative Methods and Field Analysis|
|Geographic Information System|
3. General Courses
|Introduction to Business Finance|
|Financial Markets and Institutions|
|Computer Concept and Application|
|Principle of Accounting|
|Principle of Management|
|Management Information System|
|Cost and Management Accounting|
|Principle of Marketing|
|Principle of Psychology|