- + Introduction
Establishment of quality assurance system in higher education is a global concern now. There is a growing demand for Quality Assurance (QA) mechanisms at national, regional and global levels. Over the years, it is observed that there is an increase in the number of HE institutions and increased involvement of external stakeholders through changes in governance structures. The higher education institutions around the world have been introduced to quality assurance system internally with formal institutional approach and documentation. This has been done with the establishment of quality assurance agencies like accreditation bodies at the national level. The integration of Quality Assurance principles into higher education is also a matter of concern in Pakistan.
Quality Enhancement Cell at Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Karachi is taking deliberate steps to bring about continual improvement in the effectiveness of the learning experience of students. In Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) there is greater emphasis on Internal QA and the encouragement of an institutional “Quality Culture.”
M.A. Jinnah University has always been in the forefront for accepting and adapting best practices in the field of Education. Recognizing the role that it has to play in higher education sector, M.A. JINNAH UNIVERSITY has established a Quality Enhancement Cell. This cell has the responsibility to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are compatible with international standards and are designed to improve the quality of higher education.
At M.A. JINNAH UNIVERSITY we believe, that quality enhancement and assurance is a collective responsibility and that it is the professionalism and creativity of staff, individually, that makes the most vital contribution to the enhancement of provision, through their attention to their students’ experience as learners, to the development of their disciplines, and their engagement with their teaching practice.
(a) To review quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
(b) To Promote public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degree are enhanced and safeguarded.
(c) To define lucid and explicit standards as point of reference to reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
(d) To develop qualification framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of qualification.
(e) To develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standards of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development.
(f) To develop procedures for approval of new programs, monitoring and evaluation, departmental review, student feedback, employer feedback, quality assurance of various degree programs, subject review and qualification framework.
- + Members
Dr. S.M Ghazanfar Monir
Mr. Muhammad Ibrahim Shamsi
Dr. Areeb Ahmed
Dr. Khitab Gul
Mr. Muhammad Wamiq
Mr. Nasir Ullah Khan
Ms. Summaiya Aslam
Instructor Computer Science
Eng. Shafiq Ur Rehman
Deputy Director QEC
Mr. Zaheer Uddin Shaikh
- + QEC Aims
The development of a program of activities to institutionalize a quality culture in higher education and a commitment to continuous quality improvement
The development and implementation of initiatives to build and strengthen the capacity for high quality provision at institutional, learning program and individual levels.
Measurement of the expected outcome/performance from individual faculty member through standard internationally evaluated and tested procedures after having provided the requisite teaching and research infrastructure and facilities.
Measurement of the performance of each Academic Department/Institute/Center through conducting annual review based on the standard parameters set for this purpose
Regular assessment and review of the MOHAMMAD ALI JINNAH UNIVERSITY in order to assure the quality of the teaching staff and the teaching and training provisions provided to the students
- + QEC Functions
1. The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is headed by a Director reporting directly to President (MAJU). He is to be correspondent with the outside bodies.
2. QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
3. QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
4. QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of program.
5. QEC is responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
6. QEC is responsible to develop qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Master’s, M. Phil., Doctoral.
7. QEC is responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
8. QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
9. QEC is responsible to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
10. QEC is responsible to develop procedures for the following:
i. Approval of new program
ii. Annual Monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, Faculty monitoring, and student perceptions
iii. Departmental review
iv. Student feedback
v. Employer feedback
vi. Quality assurance of Master’s, M. Phil and PhD degree programs
vii. Subject review
viii. Institutional assessment
ix. Program specifications
- + QEC Activies
- Participation in workshop on “Six Sigma in Higher Education” held on 18th April 2016 by Iqra University
- Guest Speaker Session by Dr. Munir Hussain to QEC teams on “Self Assessment Process and Role of Program Teams” held on 16th May 2016 at Institute of Business & Technology.
- Guest Speaker Session by Dr. Munir Hussain to students on “The Role of Book Reading Habits in Quality of Learning” held on 19 April 2016 at KASB Institute of Technology.
- Guest Speaker Session by Dr. Munir Hussain to teachers on “The Role of School in Quality Education and its impact on Higher Education” held on 10 April 2016 at Allied School, Shah Latif campus, Hyderabad.
- Participation in National Workshop on “Bloom’s Taxonomy in Quality of Higher Education” held on 6th June 2016 at Institute of Business & Technology
11 Membership with Asia-Pacific Quality Network (APQN) 19 September 2016
No. Activity Held at Audience Date 1. Faculty Awareness Program for Management Science Department MAJU Faculty 20 February 2016 2. Faculty Awareness Program for Computer Science Department MAJU Faculty 24 February 2016 3. Training Workshop for MAJU QEC Program teams MAJU Program Teams 3rd March 2016 4. QEC, MAJU training on SAR writing MAJU Program Teams 22 March 2016 5. Participation in workshop on “Six Sigma in Higher Education” Iqra University QEC staff from national universities 18th April 2016 6. Guest Speaker Session by Dr. Munir Hussain to QEC teams on “Self Assessment Process and Role of Program Teams” Institute of Business & Technology IBT Program Teams 16th May 2016 7. Guest Speaker Session by Dr. Munir Hussain to students on “The Role of Book Reading Habits in Quality of Learning” KASB Institute of Technology KASB Institute of Technology, SMCHS campus 19th April 2016 8. Participation in National Workshop on “Bloom’s Taxonomy in Quality of Higher Education” Institute of Business & Technology Institute of Business & Technology 6th June 2016 9 SARs of BBA, MBA, BSCS and MSCS sent to HEC 31st July 2016 10 Institutional Membership with International Network of Quality Assurance Agency in Higher Education (INQAAHE) August 2016 11 Membership with Asia-Pacific Quality Network (APQN) 19 September 2016 12 Membership with United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI) January 2017 13 Training workshop on “Learning the Strategic Management of Higher Education System for Quality Betterment” MAJU Program Teams 7th March 2017 14 Training Workshop on Self-Assessment (SA) System Sindh Mudrassatul Islam University (SMIU), Karachi Program Teams and Assessment Teams 10th March 2017