Establishment of quality assurance system in higher education is a global concern now. There is a growing demand for Quality Assurance (QA) mechanisms at national, regional and global levels. Over the years, it is observed that there is an increase in the number of HE institutions and increased involvement of external stakeholders through changes in governance structures. The higher education institutions around the world have been introduced to quality assurance system internally with formal institutional approach and documentation. This has been done with the establishment of quality assurance agencies like accreditation bodies at the national level. The integration of Quality Assurance principles into higher education is also a matter of concern in Pakistan.
Quality Enhancement Cell at Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Karachi is taking deliberate steps to bring about continual improvement in the effectiveness of the learning experience of students. In Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) there is greater emphasis on Internal QA and the encouragement of an institutional “Quality Culture.”
M.A. Jinnah University has always been in the forefront for accepting and adapting best practices in the field of Education. Recognizing the role that it has to play in higher education sector, M.A. JINNAH UNIVERSITY has established a Quality Enhancement Cell. This cell has the responsibility to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are compatible with international standards and are designed to improve the quality of higher education.
At M.A. JINNAH UNIVERSITY we believe, that quality enhancement and assurance is a collective responsibility and that it is the professionalism and creativity of staff, individually, that makes the most vital contribution to the enhancement of provision, through their attention to their students’ experience as learners, to the development of their disciplines, and their engagement with their teaching practice.
(a) To review quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
(b) To Promote public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degree are enhanced and safeguarded.
(c) To define lucid and explicit standards as point of reference to reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
(d) To develop qualification framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of qualification.
(e) To develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standards of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development.
(f) To develop procedures for approval of new programs, monitoring and evaluation, departmental review, student feedback, employer feedback, quality assurance of various degree programs, subject review and qualification framework.
Contact: Ext. 113
Mr. Manoj Kumar
Ms. Nazish Nouman
Mr. Azeem Amin
Contact: Ext. 158
Mr. M. Shujaat Saleem
The development of a program of activities to institutionalize a quality culture in higher education and a commitment to continuous quality improvement
The development and implementation of initiatives to build and strengthen the capacity for high quality provision at institutional, learning program and individual levels.
Measurement of the expected outcome/performance from individual faculty member through standard internationally evaluated and tested procedures after having provided the requisite teaching and research infrastructure and facilities.
Measurement of the performance of each Academic Department/Institute/Center through conducting annual review based on the standard parameters set for this purpose
Regular assessment and review of the MOHAMMAD ALI JINNAH UNIVERSITY in order to assure the quality of the teaching staff and the teaching and training provisions provided to the students
1. The Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) is headed by a Director reporting directly to President (MAJU). He is to be correspondent with the outside bodies.
2. QEC is responsible for promoting public confidence that the quality and standards of the award of degrees are enhanced and safeguarded.
3. QEC is responsible for the review of quality standards and the quality of teaching and learning in each subject area.
4. QEC is responsible for the review of academic affiliations with other institutions in terms of effective management of standards and quality of program.
5. QEC is responsible for defining clear and explicit standards as points of reference to the reviews to be carried out. It should also help the employees to know as to what they could expect from candidates.
6. QEC is responsible to develop qualifications framework by setting out the attributes and abilities that can be expected from the holder of a qualification, i.e. Master’s, M. Phil., Doctoral.
7. QEC is responsible to develop program specifications. These are standard set of information clarifying what knowledge, understanding, skills and other attributes a student will have developed on successfully completing a specific program.
8. QEC is responsible to develop quality assurance processes and methods of evaluation to affirm that the quality of provision and the standard of awards are being maintained and to foster curriculum, subject and staff development, together with research and other scholarly activities.
9. QEC is responsible to ensure that the university’s quality assurance procedures are designed to fit in with the arrangements in place nationally for maintaining and improving the quality of Higher Education.
10. QEC is responsible to develop procedures for the following:
i. Approval of new program
ii. Annual Monitoring and evaluation including program monitoring, Faculty monitoring, and student perceptions
iii. Departmental review
iv. Student feedback
v. Employer feedback
vi. Quality assurance of Master’s, M. Phil and PhD degree programs
vii. Subject review
viii. Institutional assessment
ix. Program specifications